Tuesday 26 May 2009

Podcasts for Parents

When I was eight years old my parents and I lived in a bungalow just outside Detroit, Michigan. My bedroom carpet was lavender and threadbare, but went nicely with the flower print wallpaper and bedspread I'd chosen. My best friend's name was Leslie and we were both in Mrs. Gerrity's third grade class. We both wanted Mrs. Cornet for fourth grade even though she scared us to death. This is how I remember a lot of my childhood: token details that have somehow stuck around despite all the experiences that have been layered on since.  But how did I make decisions or solve problems? How did I perceive myself and others? To be honest, I can't be sure and in that I'm not alone. 

In the sidebar you will note a new addition: the RSS feed for one of my favourite child psychotherapists, Rachel Melville-Thomas, who has a weekly program called Kids in Mind on World Radio Switzerland. Topics covered have included materialism, fighting aggression, coping with illness and bullying. Podcasts run approximately 20 minutes and are worth every second of your time. Even better, they're free. 

If you know of any other parenting podcasts worth listening to, please leave a comment. The Creative Parent wants to know. 


No comments:

Post a Comment